What’s better than a healthy meal where the veggies are packed in without you even knowing? NOTHING!
Orlando and I are on a two week no eating out self created challenge. The first day was so daunting to me…not that we eat out every day but to imagine cooking multiple nights a week especially over the weekend seemed like a LOT on top of my already busy schedule. I also was secretly pouting about how boring it was going to be to eat the same things over and over and quickly decided that wasn’t going to work for me. So I got creative by finding some simple, HEALTHY recipes that were cost effective, delicious, and still fit into my nutrition plan.
I use to cook healthy fun meals all the time, but just like anything you can easily fall out of habit with it especially when you’re busy. My go to thought was that I wanted chicken Alfredo. Which by the way is SUPER easy to change up a few ingredients and align it to your healthy eating plan.
I quickly ran on to this recipe by ifoodreal.com checked the ingredients to see if I needed to make any substitutions, ran to the store, came home, and started dinner. I’m all about quick and simple after a long day at work. Luckily this recipe takes about 40 minutes max and is super easy to clean up after. YES, please!
The Alfredo sauce is slightly thicker than I expected but it taste super creamy and works well when packing the mix into the squash’ I also left our Alfredo boats broiling to long so the cheese got slightly crispy on top. (See photo below LOL!!!)
We will definitely be making this again and highly recommend you do too!
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Alfredo
- 1 medium spaghetti squash*
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, low sodium
- 2 tsp cornstarch (1 I used 1-tbsp flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups (6 oz) cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool until safe to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Add chicken stock, cornstarch, salt, pepper and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes until sauce has thickened a bit. Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese and stir until smooth and cheese has melted. Add Greek yogurt and stir again until smooth. Add chicken and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Using a fork, separate spaghetti squash into strands leaving them inside the shells. Scoop Chicken Alfredo sauce on top of each shell and gently move around with a fork to make the sauce settle deeper into the spaghetti squash. Top each shell with 2 tbsp Mozzarella, place in a baking dish and bake for 10 – 12 minutes and then broil on High for 5 more minutes. Stir the squash with a sauce a bit before serving and serve hot.
Don’t forget to tag me in your creations.